Guest Q&A: Miles Stokes of Jay & Miles X-Plain the X-Men
Miles Stokes is the co-host / co-creator of Jay & Miles X-Plain the X-Men, an awesome podcast about X-actly what it sounds like. By day, Stokes works in IT, fixing broken things for a non-mutant-related comic book publisher. Otherwise, he surrounds himself with as much geekery as time allows. Buy him a drink and he’ll spend the next two hours telling you about how Chris Claremont made him a feminist and that come on, guys, Gambit’s ’90s costume isn’t that bad.
Stokes will join his partner Jay Rachel Edidin for a special live edition of their podcast during this year’s Vegas Valley Comic Book Festival at noon.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Perfect happiness is relaxing with a few dozen of my nearest and dearest, sharing our nerdy passions with as much contagious gusto as we can muster, opening our hearts to one another like the warriors of enthusiasm we are.
2. What is your greatest fear?
Being alone is terrible. I’d last about thirty seconds in one of those sensory deprivation tanks.
3. On what occasion do you lie?
I lie when it’s obvious and entertaining hyperbole! But also occasionally to spare someone’s feelings in the short term, which never works out in the long term. You’d think I’d know better by now.
4. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I wish I had Jay’s focus and drive. I go in way too many directions at once to ever get anything done.
5. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
I helped make a podcast about X-Men! People like it! Some of them even find it kind of meaningful!
6. What do you most dislike about yourself?
I worry so much about letting people down that I let people down. I should probably stop that.
7. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
Actually! Hope! Glad!
8. What is your most treasured possession?
I guess that’d be my wedding ring. I’m a big softie.
9. What do you most value in your friends?
Kindness and enthusiasm.
10. The quality you most admire in a person?
11. What supernatural gift would you most like to possess?
Man, if I could temporarily clone myself Jamie Madrox-style, I’d get to do so many more awesome things.
12. What is your favorite food?
Crab legs. Or maybe broccoli when it’s well prepared. Could we breed those two organisms? They’d be delicious! And horrifying.
13. What is your favorite color?
The red of the blood in my metal heeaaarrrttt
14. Who is your favorite fictional character?
Hob Gadling, from Sandman. Dude’s right: there’s always so much more to live for.
15. Who is your favorite artist?
Bill Sienkiewicz, maybe? Ask me tomorrow and I’ll say someone else.
16. Who is your favorite musician?
I keep coming back to Pearl Jam. I sure was around in the ’90s.
17. Who are your favorite writers?
Walter Simonson. Ken Kesey. Tom Robbins. Chris Claremont. Louise Simonson.
18. Who are your heroes in real life?
Fred Rogers. If Superman and Captain America merged into one normal dude in a sweater, they’d be him.
19. DC, Marvel, Lovecraft or Whedon Universe?
The Marvel Universe has been my home for as long as I can remember.
20. What is your present state of mind?
I am both excited and overwhelmed by the world – in much the same ways!
21. What is your motto?
“It doesn’t have to make sense as long as it’s awesome.”