Hello, The Future! is the musical alter-ego of Seattle-based singer-songwriter Nicole Dieker. She has been performing as Hello, The Future! since May 2010, when she recorded and uploaded one song a week to YouTube for 100 consecutive weeks. Dieker sings about science, skepticism, the TI-99, giant robots, coffee and various fandoms. You can catch her live in the main theater at 2:30 p.m.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
The ability to make choices about your life.
2. What is your greatest fear?
Lack of agency.
3. On what occasion do you lie?
To spare unnecessary hurt feelings.
4. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I have always wanted bigger hair.
5. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
My first freelance business failed, but the second one succeeded.
6. What do you most dislike about yourself?
I don’t do everything perfectly all the time.
7. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
Actually and totally.
8. What is your most treasured possession?
My childhood diaries.
9. What do you most value in your friends?
10. The quality you most admire in a person?
When their actions match their words.
11. What supernatural gift would you most like to possess?
FLIGHT FLIGHT FLIGHT FLIGHT FLIGHT
12. What is your favorite food?
TOO MANY FOODS. I LIKE ALL THE FOODS (except mushrooms and onions).
13. What is your favorite color?
14. Who is your favorite fictional character?
Emily Byrd Starr.
15. Who is your favorite person in history?
I don’t think I could pick just one!
16. Who is your favorite artist?
17. Who is your favorite musician?
If you’re asking “who do I listen to most often,” it’s Daft Punk. But I don’t actually think they’re my favorite musicians.
18. Who are your favorite writers?
Neal Stephenson, Neil Gaiman, Anna Quindlen, Ann Patchett, Ann Brashares, Ian McEwan, Michael Ondaatje, L.M. Montgomery, Louisa May Alcott, Douglas Hofstadter, Douglas Adams
19. Who are your heroes in real life?
Roxane Gay, Nicole Cliffe and Mallory Ortberg, Caitlin Moran
20. DC, Marvel, Lovecraft or Whedon Universe?
Whedonverse, if these are the only four choices.
21. What is your present state of mind?
22. What is your motto?
No idea. I have a to-do list instead.