Legendary comic book illustrator and writer Howard Chaykin is known for his innovative storytelling and sometimes controversial material. Although he first made his name on mainstream titles such as Marvel’s Star Wars adaptation and a variety of DC comics, he is perhaps best known for his ground-breaking independent comics work, including American Flagg! and Black Kiss, as well as his modern re-workings of The Shadow and Blackhawk for DC and Satellite Sam for Image Comics. Chaykin will be a featured guest at this year’s Vegas Valley Comic Book Festival, and will be the focus of a spotlight panel at 11 a.m.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
I have no idea.
2. What is your greatest fear?
3. On what occasion do you lie?
I don’t. And that hasn’t served me well.
4. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
5. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
It seems narcissistic to me to have such a thought in regard to oneself.
6. What do you most dislike about yourself?
See response to question 4.
7. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
Problematic. Verisimilitude. Go f**k yourself .
8. What is your most treasured possession?
My collection of American illustration.
9. What do you most value in your friends?
Pragmatic loyalty and self awareness.
10. The quality you most admire in a person?
See response to question 9.
11. What supernatural gift would you most like to possess?
I have no interest in such nonsense.
12. What is your favorite food?
Roast pork loin.
13. What is your favorite color?
Blue—I am red/green colorblind, so my choices are limited.
14. Who is your favorite fictional character?
I have too many to make such a choice.
15. Who is your favorite person in history?
16. Who is your favorite artist?
In comics, Alex Toth.
17. Who is your favorite musician?
18. Who are your favorite writers?
Either Frank Loesser or Stephen Sondheim.
19. Who are your heroes in real life?
I have none.
20. DC, Marvel, Lovecraft or Whedon Universe?
That’s it? Who gives a s**t about any of the above?
21. What is your present state of mind?
22. What is your motto?
Really now—you can’t be serious.