Guest Q&A: Chris Staros
You probably already know that Chris Staros is the publisher and editor of Top Shelf Productions, one of the pre-eminent indie comic labels of the last two decades. You may know that Staros is also the former president of the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund (CBLDF), the non-profit organization founded in 1986 whose charter is to protect the First Amendment rights of the comics community. But did you know he is one of the biggest Elvis Presley fans you’ll ever meet? You sure will after reading our Q&A with Staros, who leads the comic book scripting workshops at this year’s VVCBF.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Spending time with the people you love, doing what you love, and Graceland.
2. What is your greatest fear?
3. On what occasion do you lie?
When politics or religion would ruin a friendship (I wouldn’t lie, but I might avoid the conversation).
4. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I wouldn’t mind getting rid of my spare tire in some magical way.
5. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
6. What do you most dislike about yourself?
I’m not quite ready to get old yet.
7. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
“Love you” (and it’s not overused).
8. What is your most treasured possession?
Elvis Presley’s horseshoe.
9. What do you most value in your friends?
10. The quality you most admire in a person?
A generous nature.
11. What supernatural gift would you most like to possess?
12. What is your favorite food?
Good food (says the omnivore).
13. What is your favorite color?
14. Who is your favorite fictional character?
15. Who is your favorite person in history?
16. Who is your favorite artist?
The one(s) I get to work with.
17. Who is your favorite musician?
18. Who are your favorite writers?
Prose: Oscar Wilde and Alexander Dumas. Comics: Alan Moore
19. Who are your heroes in real life?
Elvis Presley, Black Sabbath, and my father.
20. DC, Marvel, Lovecraft or Whedon Universe?
Apologies, none of the above.
21. What is your present state of mind?
22. What is your motto?
Moderation in all things, including moderation (borrowed from Oscar Wilde).