Guest Q&A: Fillbach Brothers
The Fillbach Brothers have been frequent guests of the Vegas Valley Comic Book Festival. The local sibling duo creates, writes and draws educational comic books for UNLV, as well as a variety of commercial comic projects, including the best-selling Star Wars: The Clone Wars digest books for Dark Horse Comics, as well as their original graphic novels, Maxwell Strangewell and Roadkill: A Jim Kowalski Adventure, also published by Dark Horse. The Fillbachs continue onward and upward with more books to come, including Werewolves on the Moon: Versus Vampires (co-created with Dave Land); the graphic novels Quick Draw and Valley of the Gun; the return of their six-gun slinging superhero, Captain Freebird; and Freakin’ Buttkickin’ Zombie Ants (written by Stephen Stern).
On Nov. 3, the Fillbachs will be leading the “Quick Draw” session inside the Jewel Box theater at 10 a.m., as well as appearing at the World Famous Comics booth in the courtyard.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
A cold beer, good women by our sides, and Montana.
2. What is your greatest fear?
Not having a cold beer, or good women by our sides, and no Montana.
3. On what occasion do you lie?
When we are put into an uncomfortable situation with a stranger and are trying to find a way to get away from them.
4. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
To have been born very rich is the first thing that comes to mind.
5. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Each new book completed is always the greatest achievement.
6. What do you most dislike about yourself?
That we can’t create, write, and draw faster than we already do!
7. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
Most likely it would be a large collection of quotes from WALKER TEXAS RANGER… And that’s too many to write here. HUP!
8. What is your most treasured possession?
This would not be anything “physical”. Objects are just things. So the answer would be … “our imagination.”
9. What do you most value in your friends?
Loyalty and respect.
10. The quality you most admire in a person?
11. What supernatural gift would you most like to possess?
Most likely it would be from the movie SCANNERS. To “scan” people and make their heads explode. Yeah, that’d be pretty cool and quite useful as well.
12. What is your favorite food?
There are two: the pasty and a pork chop sandwich.
13. What is your favorite color?
Red and yellow.
14. Who is your favorite fictional character?
Bernard Mickey Wrangle from Tom Robbins’ STILL LIFE WITH WOODPECKER.
15. Who is your favorite person in history?
Wild Bill Hickok.
16. Who is your favorite artist?
17. Who is your favorite musician?
18. Who are your favorite writers?
Cormac McCarthy, Louis L’amour, and Elmore Leonard.
19. Who are your heroes in real life?
Our mother and father are our heroes: Dave and Clara Fillbach.
20. DC, Marvel, Lovecraft or Whedon Universe?
We choose the “FILLBACH BROTHERS UNIVERSE.”
21. What is your present state of mind?
“Awesome.” No other word really fits but that.
22. What is your motto?
Our motto is from the character Tuco from THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY: “When you have to shoot, shoot, don’t talk.”