Tommy Kovac has been writing and sometimes also illustrating comics since 1999. His titles include The Royal Historian of Oz , Autumn, Skelebunnies and Stitch for SLG, and Wonderland for Disney/SLG. The American Library Association (ALA) selected Wonderland for their 2010 “Great Graphic Novels for Teens” list.
Kovac will be leading two writing workshops at the Festival, “Ready, Aim, Write!,” in which twelve aspiring authors will join him for an hour-long exploration of how to grow that acorn of an idea into a mighty oak. Seating for each workshop (offered at noon and 2 p.m.) is limited to 12 participants; pre-registration at the onsite VVCBF information booth is required and offered on a first-come, first-served basis.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Family, a rainy day, books to read and horror movies to watch, chocolate chip cookies to eat, and a little doggie snoozing on my lap.
2. What is your greatest fear?
Today’s Republican party. I know there are exceptions, but… for the most part– SCARY!
3. On what occasion do you lie?
Very, VERY rare occasions, and then quite poorly. It’s not in my nature.
4. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
Nothing. I’d never want to be anything but completely myself, flaws included!
5. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
My 22-year relationship with my husband, Anthony. Better and stronger every year.
6. What do you most dislike about yourself?
My left eye is a total dick.
7. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
“Wah,” “I’m hungry,” and “I’m tired.” (Yes, I’m talking about myself, not some toddler.)
8. What is your most treasured possession?
I’m not so much into possessions, but if the house was on fire, AFTER my husband and dog were safe, I might run back in for family photos, and hand-crafted gifts from loved ones. Okay, and maybe my collection of My Little Ponys. Particularly the vintage ’80s ones. Okay fine, I would DEFINITELY run back into the fire for those.
9. What do you most value in your friends?
10. The quality you most admire in a person?
11. What supernatural gift would you most like to possess?
The ability to be undetected. More than just invisibility, I’d want to be sure sounds and smells would also be undetected. Not because I’m a pervert and want to go into a locker room and peep, but because I’m antisocial. And gassy.
12. What is your favorite food?
Chocolate chip cookies.
13. What is your favorite color?
The simple answer is “blue,” but specifically robin’s egg blue tinged with just a bit of teal. NOT “navy blue.” It’s obnoxious. And militaristic.
14. Who is your favorite fictional character?
Anne Rice’s Louis de Pointe du Lac.
15. Who is your favorite artist?
I can’t pick just one! Jeremy Bastian, Edward Gorey, the Hudson River School painters, Yoko D’Holbachie…
16. Who is your favorite musician?
“Musician,” huh? How about bands/performers? Rasputina, Placebo, Katastrophy Wife, Filter, Hole, the Muffs, the Horrors, Kathleen Hanna, Bauhaus, Siouxsie, the Cure, Queen Adreena, the Kills, Rammstein, Kristin Hersh, etc.!
17. Who are your favorite writers?
Angela Carter, Tanith Lee, Dan Simmons, Caitlin R. Kiernan, Peter Straub, Robert R. McCammon, Anne Rice, Preston & Child, Joe Hill, George R.R. Martin, Tad Williams, Lewis Carroll, Greg Keyes, David Anthony Durham, Bentley Little, Margaret Atwood, Gary Braunbeck, etc…
18. Who are your heroes in real life?
My PERSONAL heroes would be my mom, and my husband. I admire both of them greatly, and look to them for guidance in many things.
19. DC, Marvel, Lovecraft or Whedon Universe?
20. What is your present state of mind?
Hungry, wouldn’t mind a nap.
21. What is your motto?
I can’t decide between the old classic, “Whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger,” or maybe just, “Huh?”