Guest Q&A: Aaron Alexovich
Comic artist/character designer Aaron Alexovich’s first professional art job was drawing deformed children for Nickelodeon’s Invader ZIM. Since then, he’s been deforming children for various animation and comic projects, including Avatar: The Last Airbender, DC’s Fables, Disney’s Haunted Mansion, and his own books, Kimmie66, ELDRITCH! (with artist Drew Rausch), and three volumes of the spookycute witch series Serenity Rose.
Alexovich can be found at the SLG Publishing table when he’s not co-hosting the “Webcomics 101? panel with Rausch at 1 p.m.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
A comic book page that feels just right. Also cake.
2. What is your greatest fear?
That no one’s paying attention.
3. On what occasion do you lie?
When strangers ask me personal questions. (i.e. “Where did you hide the explosives?”)
4. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I wish I could draw 50 times faster.
5. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Serenity Rose (work in progress).
6. What do you most dislike about yourself?
I hate that I can’t fly/breathe in space. Working on it.
7. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
“I don’t know.” (REALLY trying to cut down on the not knowing.)
8. What is your most treasured possession?
I have this big, wrought iron bed that’s all wiggly and curvy and spirally like something out of a Tim Burton movie. I plan to be buried with that bed one day.
9. What do you most value in your friends?
Calmness. Cheerfulness, honesty, and conviction. The ability to prepare delicious cakes.
10. The quality you most admire in a person?
Calmness. Cheerfulness, honesty, and conviction. The ability to watch me eat delicious cakes without feeling jealousy.
11. What supernatural gift would you most like to possess?
I’d really love to fly. Makes me sad that I can’t.
12. What is your favorite food?
My body is composed of 90% Chicago-style deep dish pizza.
13. What is your favorite color?
Is black a color? (It goes with everything, which is nice.) If not, I’ll go with a nice, deep, forest-y green.
14. Who is your favorite fictional character?
Calvin (of “& Hobbes” fame).
15. Who is your favorite person in history?
Charles Darwin. For following the truth even when the implications were a little scary.
16. Who is your favorite artist?
Bill Watterson. Or Hayao Miyazaki.
17. Who is your favorite musician?
The Birthday Massacre. The perfect mix of creepiness and dreamy poppy happiness.
18. Who are your favorite writers?
H.P. Lovecraft, Ray Bradbury, Neil Gaiman. Wes Anderson. The Coen Brothers.
19. Who are your heroes in real life?
Anyone who can keep a level head and a good sense of humor in the face of awfulness. Bill Murray, basically.
20. DC, Marvel, Lovecraft or Whedon Universe?
I’d like to read about the Lovecraft-iverse while living in the Kirby-verse.
21. What is your present state of mind?
Pretty good! Can’t complain. Getting a little hungry.
22. What is your motto?